Saturday 15 August 2020

Dark Age. Romano-British Warband 1

My current reading and viewing material is dominated by the Dark Ages and the work of Bernard Cornwell
Watching his Saxon series 'The Last Kingdom' and going through the books (just finished book two, The Pale Horseman) and book one of his Arthurian series 'The Winter King'
























I have also started ' God of Vengeance' by Giles Kristian which is the start of a Viking series featuring the Viking Sigurd who he introduced in a previous series of which enjoyed immensely.




With all of that running through my head I dug out the Gripping Beast figures I still had and have started putting together a Romano-British Warband.
Ruleswise I have looked at several options, and Dux Britanniarum and Saga stand out for me so will build with both of them in mind.

The first unit using the Dux Britannarium starter force is the Archers. These have been put together from the Gripping Beast Late Roman Infantry boxed set. The Romano-British force starts off with 4 slingers or archers and I will add more later to build it up to a full 12 man unit for Saga.

I wanted quite a dirty Grimdark style for them and borrowed from the style (and mud) I was using for  my Turnip28 Project


The Bowstrings were added using thread


Figures were based on 2p









The first unit of Levy Spearmen build using Gripping Beast Dark Age Warriors box and shields from the Late Roman Infantry box
The Shields are all handpainted and I wanted to keep them quite simple as befitting their station. The next six will give me the two starter units for Dux Britanniarum and one Levy unit for Saga


Warband so far...





3 comments:

  1. Very very dark age. Love the skintones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wanted to avoid the more usual parade ground cleanliness which seems to be more common for Dark Age figures have more like mid battle or just dirty raiders!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete