Thursday 25 October 2018

AA. The Iron Guard.

I have been collecting miniatures for over 30 years and thankfully still have the majority of the figures I gathered in the early years, such as my beloved Slann, but numerous house moves and some possible patches of bad memory have caused some gaps and a list of figures I want to repurchase if only for the sake of nostalgia.

One of the sets of figures i had fond memories of and somehow lost were my temple guard. I must have been about 11 and I cannot remember how I acquired them but the unit of about 10 identical armoured knights with ornate helmets, horns and halberds were my pride and joy. I had built a small (about the size of a large shoe box) hexagonal temple (open box) out of some spare tongue and groove planks as a Temple of Death and a shrine for a large shrouded skeleton miniature (still not sure on this one) and it was guarded by this unit as its elite temple guard. The figures went through various paint jobs, the last I remember was a particularly bright and thickly painted gold and red scheme, curtesy of my humbrol enamel paints.

The figures, Death and his Temple have been lost but I recently came across them on the Alternatives Armies Website and that the range had been expanded on. I picked up a unit and command squad and on delivery found that they had lost none of their charm and will be adding them to the list of armies, and terrain pieces to build with a new temple being planned!

Serving under General Blix, the Armoured Goblins of the second Iron Company are bound as temple guards to the Temple of Death, a shrine that marks a gateway to the underworld a way station for Charon. The Guard bear the sigil of the Temple, a stylised hourglass empty of sand.


First unit of Halberdiers. 


Figures come with metal bases attached but i have mounted them on 20mm squares


Command unit and the recently released Knight with Great Sword



Unit standard and back banner show the empty hourglass and strikes of the Second Company.


Whole force so far, next on the list will be some more halberdiers and a chariot for General Blix
i will also have to try and remember and find out the large Death figure!




Alternative Armies

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work and story too. I am so glad that bringing these classics back to the world made you happy. GBS

    ReplyDelete